Welcome Karen!
So, I’ve been asked to write about the mythology/lore behind the creation of The Iron Witch, but rather than write about faeries (which I covered here: http://onceuponabookcase.blogspot.com/2011/02/guest-post-from-karen-mahoney-where.html) or the ‘Handless Maiden’ folklore (which I wrote about here: http://whatever.scalzi.com/2011/02/10/the-big-idea-karen-mahoney/), I am going to talk about something completely different.
Lots of people have asked me what it’s like to be a debut author – to have my first novel on the shelves and to actually be able to call myself a published writer. Full disclosure: I have actually been published before, but those were short stories in YA urban fantasy anthologies, so it’s sort of a different thing (although no less awesome, in its own way). But to have a full-length work of fiction published… a whole book of my own… that’s pretty amazing and, quite honestly, I never entirely believed it would happen.
Before I can tell you what it’s really like – how I feel about this big change in my life – let me take you back in time to when I was a twelve-year-old girl at school. In a class filled with about 30 other children I was asked what I wanted to be when I grew up (we were all being asked this, I think as some kind of class exercise):
Kaz (beaming and hopeful): A writer!
Teacher: You mean… like a journalist?
Kaz: Oh no, I mean I want to write fantasy books.
Entire class, INCLUDING TEACHER: LAUGHTER
So, you know, I can’t say I was always encouraged in my dreams to become a published author – and it’s taken me a long time to get here – but for all the hard work (and, yes, despite the times I’ve been laughed at!), I can tell you that it’s totally worth it. I wouldn’t want to do anything else with my life. Telling stories… making stuff up; writing it down and working at my craft; and then sharing those books and stories with others. That’s the kind of thing some people can only dream of and, even when I get stressed and busy (often with the business side of writing), I try hard not to complain. Well, at least not too much. ;)
Because I am really very, very lucky. Being a debut author is all the things I hoped it would be – and more. There’s more work involved than I thought there’d be, for sure (for example, with promoting your writing, both in person and online), but I don’t just mean that. I mean that it is truly an honour to have this chance to share with others the stories and worlds and characters that I create. To hear what people think about the things I write, and to touch the lives of readers all over the world, even in this very tiny way… Well, that’s pretty awesome.
I hope that you enjoy meeting Donna, Navin and Xan, and I hope you’ll return to Ironbridge when The Wood Queen comes out early next year! Thanks for having me. :)
*
Thank you, Karen! All I can say is - the pleasure is all ours. We love The Iron Witch, we love Xan (as I have told you maybe a thousand times) and I'm sure I'm not the only one who is eagerly waiting for The Wood Queen!

























3 comments:
Fab guest post, you're busy on the blogosphere today Kaz! :o) I'm so pleased that you didn't give up on your dream and that we all got to read The Iron Witch because of that! Dwayne isn't the only one who is impatiently waiting on The Wood Queen (or who has a crush on Xan LOL)
Dreams are indeed just 'round the corner, all you have to do is reach out. And yep - that's so right! When I met Kaz I might have gushed too much about Xan ;p
Very inspirational post to all of the writers out there! :)
Aryelle @ ReadingwiththeFishes
Post a Comment