Hi there, welcome to our blog!

We're Dwayne and Hanna,
compulsive readers whose
growing book collection sadly
lacks a bookshelf.

We're 23 and 15, and we live in London.

Like most sisters, we bicker. A lot.

2 December 2010

Book Review: You Against Me (Jenny Downham)


If someone hurts your sister and you're any kind of man, you seek revenge, right? If your brother's been accused of a terrible crime and you're the main witness, then you banish all doubt and defend him. Isn't that what families do? When Mikey's sister claims a boy assaulted her at a party, his world of work and girls begins to fall apart. When Ellie's brother is charged with the crime, but says he didn't do it, her world of revision, exams and fitting in at a new school begins to unravel. When Mikey and Ellie meet, two worlds collide. Brave and unflinching, this is a novel of extraordinary skillfulness and almost unbearable tension. It's a book about loyalty and the choices that come with it. But above all it's a book about love - for one's family and for another.

Jenny Downham's second offering is one very emotionally-exhausting read. While the book is nowhere near life changing, it can be aptly called a powerful book with an equally strong narrative, simply because it is capable of leaving its readers with very strong, very conflicting emotions. A fantastic read, this one.

I don't see You Against Me as a romance novel. At least not primarily so. This book revolves around the characters trapped in extraordinary challenging circumstances. For Mikey and Ellie, romance is part of these circumstances, and for these two love is both extraordinary and challenging. Their differences is highlighted quite early on in the book - not only are they on opposing sides of a criminal court case - Ellie is also privilege and Mikey is far from being so. The former is known as a shy, reserved girl, the latter more of a dangerous person with a bad boy streak. Their journey towards each other is remarkable for anyone in their shoes and I'm not saying so because I'm a romantic at heart. The road is not paved and many sacrifices must be made, but together, they learn to explore emotions foreign to them, realise the value of the finer things in life and experience the bittersweetness of first love. They both fight for and find courage - a value so very strong in the book.

Beyond the romance however, there is the looming backdrop of the court case - Ellie's brother Tom is on trial for sexually assaulting Karyn, Mikey's sister. This is where the book becomes inherently powerful - the effect of what happened on both families is truly heartbreaking. It is not only Tom and Karyn whose lives are turn around by it, but everyone's. Although we often symphatise with victims most forget their families and friends are heavily affected too. You Against Me reminded of the extent of such tragedy, because is chronicles every sacrifice, every suffering of Tom's and Karyn's families. It is blunt, honest and a true-to-life depiction of what happens when it happens - it does not sugarcoat the harm a tragedy like this can inflict to both party. There are of course two sides to every story, and You Against Me presents those sides in very concrete details. I was increasingly intrigued by what exactly happened on that night and can never make up my mind as to which version was the truth.

It didn't hit me at first that You Against Me is set in Britain, until tea (what else could it be?) is mentioned. I've always had a pleasure reading YA books set here, but of course the value of a book is beyond the beauty of its setting. This book in incredibly well written. The narrative is true to the characters and conveys genuine emotion to the readers. There is an extensive character development to support every complex detail of the plot.

If any, my complaints would only be that it became slightly predictable towards the end. Perhaps I was expecting the answers all along, but it seems rather typical of the twist to happen. I was also dissatisfied with the conclusion of the novel, the ending being abrupt, and vague.

However. This should stop you from reading You Against Me, because it is still utterly and absolutely fantastic.

Four Stars!


* You Against Me is out today, 2nd December 2010. Don't forget to grab your copies if you have not already done so, because believe me, this is worth your time! Thank you to David Fickling Books and Random House Children's Books for my review copy.



20 comments:

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

I've never even heard of this one, and it sounds awesome. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, and great review! :)

Unknown said...

Really interesting review. I felt the ending didn't give me a twist either but I thought perhaps that was the point. I don't want to post a spoiler but how else could it have ended? Unless it was going to be incredibly dark. Hmmm...

Lauren said...

Interesting point about the ending. Hmmm. I think for the first half I wasn't sure how it would end, but as I read on I knew it couldn't end any other way. (Okay, vague comment I know but I don't want to spoil anyone who hasn't read it yet!) Great book though, and a great review too. :)

Sarah said...

Great review Dwayne, I'm glad you enjoyed this one :o) I thought the ending was well done, I don't think it could have ended any differently really

Anonymous said...

I love your reviews!I'm super excited for this one as I think the premise sounds amazing. :)

Books for Company said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Blueicegal ♥ said...

Ooooh i have wanted this forever, can't wait to read it!

kirsty at the overflowing library said...

i can't wait to read this book! fab review

Books for Company said...

I have a competition to win this (International!) at my blog -
Books For Company
Thank you for the review

Talli Roland said...

I haven't heard of this one but it sounds interesting. Thank you for the review.

Anonymous said...

The book is amazing . Jenny is such an amazing author! I've read her other book, Before I die, and it is just as good! :) I love the book although i do wish the ending was in a bit more detail. :) Otherwise an amazing book.

Anonymous said...

Is so amazing and I agree with you. The ending was too vague and abrupt. I would love something more less predicatble and more exciting perhaps. and the thing that id on't like was The End at the end of the book but still, is an absolutely thrilling read

Anonymous said...

hi i need to write a plot summary for this book but i dont really understand it?

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the ending, it made light of such a dark situation. Things are never gonna be the same for any of the characters so u have to embrace the past and try to move on and I think Jenny did that. The book as a whole was brilliant.

Anonymous said...

Something more important is that while searching for a good on
the internet electronics retail outlet, look for online shops that
are frequently updated, retaining up-to-date with the newest products, the
most beneficial deals, in addition to helpful information on product
or service. This will make certain you are getting through a
shop which stays on top of the competition and offers
you what you should need to make intelligent, well-informed electronics buying.
Thanks for the important tips I have learned from your blog.


my webpage: facebook for sex

Anonymous said...

Just wish to say your article is as amazing. The clarity to your publish is simply great and that i could think you're knowledgeable in this subject. Fine together with your permission allow me to snatch your feed to keep up to date with imminent post. Thank you a million and please continue the rewarding work.

Feel free to visit my page - facebook for sex

Anonymous said...

I don�t even understand how I finished up right here, but
I believed this put up was great. I do not realize
who you might be however certainly you are going to a well-known blogger for those who aren't already ;) Cheers!

Here is my page :: facebook sex

Anonymous said...

There are many paphos car hire agencies that consider
25 as the minimum age for driving in most countries is 16.
Car Hire There are several paphos car hire
agencies in India then you can avail of discount codes from them.

Not now, not ever. Russian Black Money in paphos car hire].
A better option is just to relax in your office and wait for an appointment.

However, you will find in fine print of the company's latest phones. If you are not charged.

Feel free to surf to my web-site paphos car rentals cyprus

Anonymous said...

You Against Me is a good book

Anonymous said...

:D

Post a Comment

Statistics




Since 06 September 2010