After getting kicked out of boarding school, bad boy Derek Fitzpatrick has no choice but to live with his ditzy stepmother while his military dad is deployed. Things quickly go from bad to worse when he finds out she plans to move them back to her childhood home in Illinois. Derek’s counting the days before he can be on his own, and the last thing he needs is to get involved with someone else’s family drama.
Ashtyn Parker knows one thing for certain--people you care about leave without a backward glance. A football scholarship would finally give her the chance to leave. So she pours everything into winning a state championship, until her boyfriend and star quarterback betrays them all by joining their rival team. Ashtyn needs a new game plan, but it requires trusting Derek—someone she barely knows, someone born to break the rules. Is she willing to put her heart on the line to try and win it all?
So, for someone who loves Simone Elkeles' books, I must say that I was not so much as impressed as I am deeply disappointed. I expected Wild Cards to be truly original - and at some level, it was - but I found it a replica of Elkeles' previous book: Perfect Chemistry.
The similarity of the two books nearly drove me insane as I ended up getting my guesses nearly all right and though I hate to say that Wild Card was, quite simply, predictable. It followed the same love-hate layout that Simone Elkeles is known for executing very well. However, predictable as it was, this book did not fail in making me giggle with its cuteness.
Derek and Ashtyn had a weird relationship, and part of me was freaked out by it. See, Derek's father married Ashtyn's sister and somehow, even though it complicated things a bit, it appeared as though a link was present between the two characters, even if they did not know each other. One thing I have to say, I found it hard not remain angry at Ashtyn's father. Ashtyn, a kicker in their football team, is not supported by her dad, and usually it is them who push their sons to the limit when it comes to sports. Is it just because Ashtyn is a girl therefore her own father can be unsupportive of her love for football and lead the my-life-is-a-mess-so-leave-me-alone life?
Well what else can I say? Their first meeting immediately captured me. I loved it! It is definitely something to look out for and I am warning you now - it is funny and very very cute. Derek seems tough and bad-ass in some ways, ended up being expelled from his school because of the practical jokes he played. But I can't forget to mention how HOT Derek is. Even as I read the book, I couldn't stop thinking how easily I could fall for a book characters, so long as they were similar to Derek.
Ashtyn contrasts most female protagonists in the YA genre. Somehow I find that many girls appear as fragile, so the fact that Ashtyn was played football and seemed like a heroin, I was satisfied.
Wild Cards, was entertaining, very much so with its cuteness and its characters who were just plain adorable. It was an enjoyable and I have treasured reading it. The similarity between Wild Cards and Perfect Chemistry is quite obvious and is a total let-down, yet this book itself deserves credit for being well-written and unique.
Three Stars!
Derek and Ashtyn had a weird relationship, and part of me was freaked out by it. See, Derek's father married Ashtyn's sister and somehow, even though it complicated things a bit, it appeared as though a link was present between the two characters, even if they did not know each other. One thing I have to say, I found it hard not remain angry at Ashtyn's father. Ashtyn, a kicker in their football team, is not supported by her dad, and usually it is them who push their sons to the limit when it comes to sports. Is it just because Ashtyn is a girl therefore her own father can be unsupportive of her love for football and lead the my-life-is-a-mess-so-leave-me-alone life?
Well what else can I say? Their first meeting immediately captured me. I loved it! It is definitely something to look out for and I am warning you now - it is funny and very very cute. Derek seems tough and bad-ass in some ways, ended up being expelled from his school because of the practical jokes he played. But I can't forget to mention how HOT Derek is. Even as I read the book, I couldn't stop thinking how easily I could fall for a book characters, so long as they were similar to Derek.
Ashtyn contrasts most female protagonists in the YA genre. Somehow I find that many girls appear as fragile, so the fact that Ashtyn was played football and seemed like a heroin, I was satisfied.
Wild Cards, was entertaining, very much so with its cuteness and its characters who were just plain adorable. It was an enjoyable and I have treasured reading it. The similarity between Wild Cards and Perfect Chemistry is quite obvious and is a total let-down, yet this book itself deserves credit for being well-written and unique.
Three Stars!


























3 comments:
‘philanthropic + epiphany’ (=so much to give + vision):
~let these two words be the start of your journey~
I looove RITErs;
I looove giving'm new opportunities
for thots/ideas/structural integrity,
taking'm in a completely-new-direction:
Why else does a moth fly FROM the night
than to a bold, attractive candle Light??
Don’t let His extravagant Brilliance be extinguished.
You’re creative, yes?
Then, fly-away with U.S. to the antidote…
Whether you obtain moralityB4mortality to wiseabove
or just glean tantalizing specimens for thy next best seller,
you shall find in our blogs a lotta (subliminal) moxie
which has taken this sinfull mortal yeeeeers to compile!
I lay it ALL out for you, dear, with All-Star-Oxygems:
Wouldn’t ya love an endless eternity
of aplomBombs falling on thy indelible cranium?
An XtraXcitinXpose with no zooillogical-expiration-date?
An IQ much higher than K2 all-go-rhythm?
An anti-establishment, savvy victory +
avant-guarde-humility =
you’re promptly astonished, ain’tcha?
withe extraordinarily explosion of maelstrom mellowdramatic??
Here’s what the exquisite, prolific GODy sed
(with a most-excellent-detector of bull§ht):
“Faith, hope, and love,
the greatest of these is love –
jump into faith…
and you’ll VitSee with love”
Doesn’t matter if you don’t believe (what I write);
God believes in you.
Meet me Upstairs, girl, where the Son never goes down
from a super-passionate, lucrative iconoclasm where you’ll find
nonillionsXnonillionsXnonillionsXnonillionsXnonillionsX…
of deluxe-HTTP [<- pi] opportunities for excitement BTW.
Do it. Do the deed, dude. Sign into the Big-Zaftig-House.
PS “It is impossible that anyone should NOT receive all that they have believed and hoped to obtain; it gives Me great pleasure when they hope great things from Me and I will always give them more than they expect”
-our Lord Jesus to Saint Gertrude
...think about it, girl:
if 1-outta-1 perishes in 88ish years;
then, how WE sinfull mortals have lived
is where we go for eternity, Up or Down,
Seventh-Heaven or the Abyss o'Misery.
Life is extremely tough now…
yet, life’s extremely short now.
And Satan’s working overtime
to take over your indestructible soul.
Don’t let him.
I Choose Heaven.
Choose.
Amazing collection. I love to read this book. highest paying job in criminal justice
Thanks forr writing
Post a Comment