Hi there, welcome to our blog!

We're Dwayne and Hanna,
compulsive readers whose
growing book collection sadly
lacks a bookshelf.

We're 23 and 15, and we live in London.

Like most sisters, we bicker. A lot.

10 March 2010

Book Review: Evermore (Alyson Noël)


Since a horrible accident claimed the lives of her family, Ever can see auras, hear people's thoughts and know a person's entire life story by touch. Going out of her way to avoid human contact and suppress her abilities has branded her as a frak at her new high school - but everything changes when she meets Damen.

Damen Auguste is gorgeous, exotic and wealthy. He's the only one who can silence the noise and random energy in her head - wielding a magic so intense, it's as though he can see straight into her soul. As Ever is drawn deeper into his enticing world of secrets and mystery, she's left with more questions that answers. She has no idea just who he really is - or what he is. The only thing she knows to be true is she's falling deeply and helplessly in love with him.


I must admit I was a teeny-weeny bit skeptical about this book. The blurb at the back sounds too complicated - a damaged girl whose past I thought would take the bulk of the narration (and I absolutely dislike this) - my misconception lasted until the first page, and I am so so glad I gave it a chance.

Surprisingly, the complex characters were easy to relate to. The narration was smooth, never draggy and even beautiful at times. It was such a smooth read, so far from what I thought, that I didn't even realise it was written in the present tense. It just flowed. And I loved it to bits for that, for making such complexities simple. 

I absolutely adore the characters (so diverse. I like!) - Miles and Riley in particular - and I am such a sucker for loving siblings and yearning for the dead that I just devoured the book. 

The romance - Oh my God - if, like me, you like like like forbidden, mysterious romance with the forbidden, mysterious guy, you would absolutely love Evermore. Damen was such a well-written character with such humorous and unpredictable (not to mention bad-boyish) side that I ended up gushing over each of Ever's and Damen's interactions. 

At the end, everything ties up together - all the inconsequential details, the romance, the intrigues, the mysteries - and it's one of those romantic books that sucks you right in and makes you read like hell and takes you into a rollercoaster ride of emotions and a touch of moral lessons.

I must get Blue Moon (out 5th March in the UK) and Shadowland (WHY is it not in the UK yet???)

Four stars.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Statistics




Since 06 September 2010