Hi there, welcome to our blog!

We're Dwayne and Hanna,
compulsive readers whose
growing book collection sadly
lacks a bookshelf.

We're 23 and 15, and we live in London.

Like most sisters, we bicker. A lot.

20 July 2010

Book Review: Angel (L.A. Weatherly)




Willow knows she’s different from other girls. And not just because she loves tinkering around with cars. Willow has a gift. She can look into people’s futures, know their dreams, their hopes and their regrets, just by touching them. She has no idea where she gets this power from…

But Alex does. Gorgeous, mysterious Alex knows Willow’s secret and is on a mission to stop her. The dark forces within Willow make her dangerous – and irresistible. In spite of himself, Alex finds he is falling in love with his sworn enemy.

This novel is such a shocker.

When blurb says L.A. Weatherly will reinvent angels in Angel, she not only reinvents it, but does so in such a stunning way. Her portrayal of angels as deceptive predators is disturbing, yet strangely fascinating. Without foregoing the beauty that lures humanity into admiring these celestial beings, the author twists our common perception of their majesty to reveal a very frightening creature. For that alone, Angel deserves a permanent space in everyone's shelves.

What I expected with Angel, is vastly different from what I have read. Even from the very beginning I was already caught unaware by this novel. It's far from predictable, and none of my guesses were actually even remotely near the plot. There were always surprises around every corner and each caught me by surprise. Throw away all your expectations are read this book. You will not regret it!

Angel is partly narrated by Willow, and partly by an omniscient narrator. The narrative style is as fresh as its plot, allowing glimpses into Willow's character without neglecting the crescendo of suspense created by events out of Willow's control. The perfect criss-crossing of these different perspectives builds the suspense with such intensity that I was slightly floored with the thrill. It was like reading a Dan Brown thriller - so very gripping. Combined with interesting characters and the unsettling angels, the suspense is a huge driving force in making Angel such stunning novel.

While the suspense remains a constant presence in the course of the plot, there is also adventure and romance intertwined strongly within the novel. Willow and Alex are two very different, very engaging characters. I found the character development to be more intrinsic than external, linking closely to the romance and plot as a whole. I couldn't get enough of the two!

Reading about their roadtrip is like partaking in it; I particular loved their experiences on the run as it is not only vividly described but also gives a sense of urgency to escape. The blossoming romance between the protagonists and the danger that constantly hovers above them (sometimes literally) gave me an adrenaline rush. It's a very, very good read. I'm pleased at how the novel did not focus entirely on Willow's and Alex's differences, but more on their acceptance of each other, and later their romance. It isn't at all sappy - and they don't fall in love in a blink of an eye either - but there were points where I could have done with less than what was written. At some parts of the book the narrative becomes overwhelming, but as I am reviewing an ARC, I did not worry too much. The finished copy would be more polished, so there really isn't much to complain about.

With a mythology as strong as Philip Pullman's and a suspense as well built as Dan Brown's, L.A. Weatherly's Angel is a dark and fresh new twist to the celestial beings we all know and love. It's a sin to miss a book this good!

Five Stars.


I have a forthcoming interview with the author, L.A. Weatherly so do watch out for it! And of course, don't forget mark your calendars for the 1st October!

15 comments:

brizmus said...

This sounds great! The characters and the plot both sound wonderful and engaging! And plus, it's about a road trip!
Thanks for the review. :-P

Ellen Renner said...

Thanks for this review. Sounds unmissable. I've ordered the book and can't wait to read it.

Unknown said...

Ooh, I was reading this through half-open eyes for fear of a spoiler. I have this but I am trying to save it. I love the way you say the angels are predators. Fantastic review even if I did only half read it LOL

Anonymous said...

This is the second great review I've read for this book, can't wait to check it out when it come out :)

Blueicegal ♥ said...

i need to get reading and reviewing this no doubt it will be a great read cant wait for the interview! :P

Anna said...

So glad you enjoyed Angel!

Road trip fans: Pics from L.A.Weatherly's own road trip plus a playlist to accompany the book will be available soon! Sign up at www.angelfever.com and you'll get an email when they're ready. Or just follow on Twitter (@Angel_Book).

:o)

Alyssa Kirk said...

Wow, sounds fantastic!

~Alyssa
Teens Read and Write

Erica said...

This one sounds awesome! I hadn't heard of it... I think I'll have to check this out.

The Readings of a Busy Mom said...

oh this sounds so great, its on m wish list so may bump it up to my next buys

Faye( Ramblings of a Teenage Bookworm) said...

this is a new one! love the cover. i'll have to check it out :D

Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

Aww, you really loved it, didn't you? I'm still trying to piece my thoughts together about it. My only complaint is that I found some of the romance towards the end to be a little cheesy, but I'm sure that was just me!

helen said...

I'd love to get it but it is not available as an ebook for the nook and I can't even find it at my local Barnes and Noble. I know it is only the 8ths but I suspect BN has passed this one over for some reason.

Bianca said...

I have just finished reading chapter one of the novel Angel I love reading it it has inspired me so much both my friend and I believe in angels and psychics I cant wait to tell her about this novel Angel

Anonymous said...

I am half way through the book and i think it is amazing!i cant put it down
one of the best books i have ever read.

kalra34 said...

I haven't read this yet but they said the book is good.

Post a Comment

Statistics




Since 06 September 2010