Hi there, welcome to our blog!

We're Dwayne and Hanna,
compulsive readers whose
growing book collection sadly
lacks a bookshelf.

We're 23 and 15, and we live in London.

Like most sisters, we bicker. A lot.

19 July 2010

Book Review: The Summer I Turned Pretty (Jenny Han)


Some summers are just destined to be pretty
Belly measures her life in summers. Everything good, everything magical happens between the months of June and August. Winters are simply a time to count the weeks until the next summer, a place away from the beach house, away from Susannah, and most importantly, away from Jeremiah and Conrad. They are the boys that Belly has known since her very first summer -- they have been her brother figures, her crushes, and everything in between. But one summer, one wonderful and terrible summer, the more everything changes, the more it all ends up just the way it should have been all along.

I almost regret reading The Summer I Turned Pretty. I found it to be rather distasteful.

I should start with the few strengths of this book. Firstly, I thought it really captures the essence of summer. While reading I could almost feel the warmth of the summer breeze seeping through the pages of the book and the smell of the ocean in Belly's narration. It's also a wonderful book with regards to its portrayal of family life and friendships. The relationship between the Fishers and Belly's family is uplifting to read about. Their closeness is enviable, and although Belly is often bullied by the three older boys - Steven, Conrad and Jeremiah - it is obvious that they all love and care for her.

Realism is also strong factor in The Summer I Turned Pretty. It's not about a perfect summer, but is about its many imperfections and how one grows in facing it. Hence it's not a light-hearted book per se, it's also about the heavy problems that life throws at you, summer or not. Towards the end of the book, Belly begins to understand this and hence mature, and it becomes clear how the book chronicles different people's way of coping.

Unfortunately, developments appear to occur only towards the end. The first three-quarters of the book is a pain to read. Belly is the type of person that I don't mind meeting but I certainly would not want to hang out with. She's immature, whiny, possessive and self-centered. The narrative is told in her perspective and is a criss-cross of the present and the past. While the flashbacks serve to elaborate on present events, I found that Belly hardly matured. She is constantly obsessing about being a grown up (while not acting like it), and this becomes a constant drone that has irritated me. I also felt that a lot of her attention were drawn to inconsequential matters, which was a waste of time. I could not get the point up until three quarters of the book. Shame.

The secondary characters were not all bad, of course. I like Susannah and Jeremiah, whom I thought were perfectly drawn. However, I felt Conrad needed more development. Belly is always constantly mentioning changes in his attitude, but he's such a vague character I thought his reactions were anything but abnormal. Which is another reason why I never really connected with the book.

Finally, I had issues with Belly's relationship with her mother and Cam. Belly is borderline ignoring her mother - she loves Sussanah so much, but her affection for her mother is so limited it is almost inexistent. To make it worse, she hardly appreciates her mother's efforts - no thank yous or I'm sorrys - which annoyed me to no end. Meanwhile, Cam is just like a passing breeze that shows how Belly is completely insensitive, which is no excuse for anyone to be, summer fling or not. His presence is misleading because here I was thinking there were only two boys for Belly, when there was actually three. It's a little over my limit, especially if the aforementioned two are siblings.

I'm not a fan of this book, I'm afraid. Sorry.

Two stars.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh dear. What a shame! You are the first reviewer that I think has not liked this book. You explain your reasons very clearly. I am still looking forward to reading this but I guess I will be expecting a bit of a selfish main character. Great honest review.

Lesley said...

I enjoyed this review. I honestly was hesitant about reading this book in the first place, and now I know I was right to be hesitant.
Thanks for sharing this.

Dwayne said...

@Becky: I know, everyone else seems to like it so I was thinking: did I miss something? :/ I'd like to say it's a good read for younger teens, but I'm not so sure. I'll look forward to what you'll think about it!

@Lesley: Thanks love! I was hesitant about it too, but it was on sale so I was tempted, lol. I wish I hadn't been! But, as it stand, lots of people like this, so you might too :)

Vicki said...

Thanks for the honest review, I have this to read...I'll still give it ago but will be forewarned now. I'm really not digging the name Belly either, conjures weird and not always attractive images.

Dwayne said...

@Rhiana hahaha! You made laugh :) It sure is! I didn't mind the name much, I was too busy ranting on her attitude, lol XD

iffath said...

Hmm, interesting thoughts. It's a shame you didn't like it, and like Becky I think you are the first reviewer to dislike it! I praise you honest opinions though, my review will be going up tomorrow :)

Blueicegal ♥ said...

you found it rather distasteful? hahaha i don't know why i found that funny i love our brutishness xD, i always admire honesty within a review great job hun!:)

Anonymous said...

I read this book last week and yesterday I posted my review which is a really positive one: Belly's voice is realistic considering she is 15 years old, Plus I enjoyed the writing style.
The only thing that bothers me in this book is the way a really serious issue like cancer is barely developed.
I found your review very tasteful and well explained.

Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

I'm surprised! I've only heard good things about the book until now. What a shame that you disliked it so much. I've bought it now, so I'll have to read it and see for myself. Really despising the name 'Belly' for a main character already..

Jessica said...

I read this book quite a while ago, and when I turned the last page... humph. Nothing; normally I have a surge of joy after finishing a book, but this: not so much. It did nothing for me, but most of my friends really liked it. So I stayed diplomatic, because I did like the writing style, and since so many enjoyed it, I figured I shouldn't start on any enthusiastic recommendations nor fierce warnings to STAY AWAY FROM THAT BOOK.
But now I see that not everyone likes it so much, and I've gotta' stay I agree with you.

PS. Does Hanna write any of the reviews? I realise she's a bit young, but I'd like to see if your flare for writing has rubbed off on her, tee hee. x

Post a Comment

Statistics




Since 06 September 2010