When Annabel, the youngest of three beautiful sisters, has a bitter falling out with her best friend—the popular and exciting Sophie—she suddenly finds herself isolated and friendless. but then she meets Owen—a loner, passionate about music and his weekly radio show, and always determined to tell the truth. And when they develop a friendship, Annabel is not only introduced to new music but is encouraged to listen to her own inner voice. with Owen's help, can Annabel find the courage to speak out about what exactly happened the night her friendship with Sophie came to a screeching halt?
Annabel's story is a very moving tale of a young girl whose life begins to fall apart. I believe there are two kinds of people in the world - those who face their problems, and those who turn away from them. Annabel is of the latter, and not only does she turn away from her troubles, she runs away from them and hides, alone, behind a non-chalant facade. But she undergoes a slow transition, where she begins to realise what might be best for her - this is what makes the book a good read. That slow, painful journey towards growth.
Early on it was obvious that Annabel is a character broken and chased by her past. She is generally a decent character; however towards the ending I felt slightly irritated with her decisions. In retrospect I believe her actions may represent the distance someone such as Annabel would take in the circumstances. However I felt that I would have wanted to understand her more as oppose to watch her isolate herself; I did not find all her reflections well expressed and well conveyed.
Sarah Dessen compensates with the characterisation of Owen Armstrong however - I felt that he is a well painted character with a distinct quality and admirable traits. It was easy to be comfortable with and relate to his character. As far as male protagonists are concerned, Owen is probably one of those with the cutest traits. His passion for music is very swoony! I also vastly enjoyed the secondary characters, especially Annabel's sister Whitney, who I think is easily the most realistic character in the book. Each plays a significant, sometimes pivotal role in the plot - and together they become a part of a very real, very possible set of circumstances.
The romance in this novel is well based, one-of-a-kind, and honestly cute. Even if it is not the most prominent theme of the novel, it has a pivotal role. I found myself giggling and certainly very contented with the many interactions between Annabel and Owen. They are completely opposite and have everything in common. I really did adore them.
This novel has many elements to it - so many different levels of reflective I can write a list and still can't include everything. The repurcussions of silence, the power of honesty, love, friendship and camaraderie...there's an element of crime, vulnerability, trust, loyalty. There's the bond of sisterhood, of music, of control, of letting go...and so much more. It is however, not overwhelming, only more intricate. It is with regret that I found the subtleties to subtle. It is noticeably present in the book, but it is not remarkable or memorable.
Slightly predictable, Just Listen is a good novel with even better characters.
Three stars.




1 comments:
Ooh I have a copy of this and now I cannot wait to read it. I think it sounds like a cute summer read. I don't mind predictable if I'm in the right mood. Great review.
Post a Comment