Hi there, welcome to our blog!

We're Dwayne and Hanna,
compulsive readers whose
growing book collection sadly
lacks a bookshelf.

We're 23 and 15, and we live in London.

Like most sisters, we bicker. A lot.

5 September 2013

Book Review: Siren (Tricia Raybun)


Seventeen-year-old Vanessa Sands is afraid of everything--the dark, heights, the ocean--but her fearless older sister, Justine, has always been there to coach her through every challenge.  That is until Justine goes cliff diving one night near the family's vacation house in Winter Harbor, Maine, and her lifeless body washes up on shore the next day. 

Vanessa's parents want to work through the tragedy by returning to their everyday lives back in Boston, but Vanessa can't help feeling that her sister's death was more than an accident.  After discovering that Justine never applied to colleges, and that she was secretly in a relationship with longtime family friend Caleb Carmichael, Vanessa returns to Winter Harbor to seek some answers.

But when Vanessa learns that Caleb has been missing since Justine's death, she and Caleb's older brother, Simon, join forces to try to find him, and in the process, their childhood friendship blossoms into something more.  
Soon it's not just Vanessa who is afraid.  All of Winter Harbor is abuzz with anxiety when another body washes ashore, and panic sets in when the small town becomes home to a string of fatal, water-related accidents . . . in which all the victims are found grinning from ear to ear.  

As Vanessa and Simon probe further into the connections between Justine's death and the sudden rash of creepy drownings, Vanessa uncovers a secret that threatens her new romance, and that will change her life forever.

When I first read the blurb of the Siren, I didn't expect to like it at all. Don't get me wrong, I find the subject of Sirens in Greek Mythology incredibly fascinating. So I though I should give it a go. Nothing wrong in trying right? It ended up not too bad at all. And although I can't exactly say I love it - because there are some moments that I would rather rip the book in half - it wasn't at all a bad read.

The beginning of the book actually drew me in and her fear of multiple things really helped me notice the change in Vanessa, the protagonist, throughout the book, which I found necessary in order to find her sister and Tricia Rayburn did exceptionally well in finding a moment that determined that change by placing Simon in the mix. I love love love the contrast of personality between the two sisters which was incredibly vital to help establish why what happened to Justine happened. The close bonding Vanessa and Justine really played a massive part in why Vanessa decided to investigate the mysterious disappearance of her sister and not jut leave it all behind and move on - a very heroic action, I think.

I actually ended up liking the twists - or lack thereof - in the story and even though hints were dropped throughout the book, it's still a slam to your face to actually confirm your suspicions so while reading I muttered a few "oh that's why...". There are a few mysterious characters that raise the questions about who they are and what role they will play - but that is always soon resolved. So it's an obvious - but good plot. I mean, it's still pretty weak, anyone is capable of knowing who the "villain" is, if they paid close attention.

What I felt most annoyed about was actually at the beginning of the book. The family argument. It's not exactly the worst thing that could ever happen to Justine, so I still cannot get over the fact that she went cliff diving. And even after then, when I thought that nothing stupid should come afterwards, does Vanessa find out about Justine's little secrets and spend most of her time whining and complaining about why Justine never told her. While the regrets and misery played on one half of Vanessa's mind, the other was focused on her and Simon which truly exhausted my patience waiting for something to happen. I expected a lot of butterflies in the stomach with Siren, but it didn't deliver. I hated the fact that they knew they were attracted to each other but did not exactly talk a lot about their feelings, of course with the solving the mysteries and all, there wasn't really much time for that.

To be honest, I found the cover extremely unappealing  I know that most became interested in the book because the cover caught their eye, but it caught my eye for a completely different reason. And Not the good kind. What I expected from the book was totally different from what I got, instead of romance (lots of it) and mystery - there was a fair bit amount of it, the book presented a load of worries, regret and family drama. ugh. Fortunately, it still gave a good amount of suspicion.

Two Stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Statistics




Since 06 September 2010