I am a beast. A beast. Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog, but a horrible new creature who walks upright – a creature with fangs and claws and hair springing from every pore. I am a monster.
You think I’m talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It’s no deformity, no disease. And I’ll stay this way forever – ruined – unless I can break the spell.
Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I’ll tell you. I’ll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and a perfect life. And then, I’ll tell you how I became perfectly beastly.
Calling all fairy tale lovers! Beastly is the classic fairy tale with a modern twist - and a good one at that! I was firstly drawn to the blurb. It is exceptionally frank, and seems to give a solid perspective from 'the beast'. I really don't know how to feel about the modern twist this book promises, but in the end it all tied up pretty well. Like, really well.
Beastly is a quick, easy and reflective read. The pace isn't too fast or too slow, and the characters are humourous and very individualistic. I loved the little chatroom snippets all throughout the books - it opens up to new characters who were just hilarious! My favourite would be Froggie - who coudn't type well with webbed feet - how cute was that? :)
As for the romantic aspect, I found that the pace helped established the romantic connection between the girl (let's not say who) and Kyle Kingsbury (later Adrian). Unlike most books, this focuses on emotional connection, not physical, and I adore that. Plus, the romantic gestures that Adrian does, including the little 'cautions' that he reminds himself to do to not scare the girl was just sweet. And let's not forget, Adrian himself is a pretty funny
The best thing about the whole book is the fact that you really see Kyle's transformation. Every single little change for the better is well depicted and highlighted, and very well founded.
Beastly is a book of humour, fairy-tale romance, with a pinch of sadness and pain, and ultimately of selflessness. I love it!
Five stars.




1 comments:
OMG!!! I love this book!!! It is ah-MAZING! I love Alex Flinn!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment