Zara collects phobias the way other high school girls collect lipsticks. Little wonder, since life’s been pretty rough so far. Her father left, her stepfather just died, and her mother’s pretty much checked out. Now Zara’s living with her grandmother in sleepy, cold Maine so that she stays “safe.” Zara doesn’t think she’s in danger; she thinks her mother can’t deal.
Wrong. Turns out that guy she sees everywhere, the one leaving trails of gold glitter, isn’t a figment of her imagination. He’s a pixie—and not the cute, lovable kind with wings. He’s the kind who has dreadful, uncontrollable needs. And he’s trailing Zara.
Need is my first pixie read in such a long time - which is why I ought to be excited about this one. The blurb was okay, but not totally intriguing. Need was not in my to-read list until it was on buy one get one free offer on Waterstone's. I gave it a chance.
Sadly, I didn't like this book. I mean, sure, I'm not a total pixie fan, but I thought the mystery of the book may be its saving grace. Expecting that was a let down too. I think it's only the cover that I actually like - and maybe three of the few characters in the book. That's all.
Seriously, I didn't think the characters were drawn well enough. Zara seems to be written inconsistently - she doesn't have a fluid, distinguishable personality. Other characters did, but Zara being the lead and all should have been solidified better. On the other hand, I think Issie and Devyn are probably one of the, if not the cutest couple I have so far read. Like really - if only Zara and Nick were half as interesting.
This book should have had potential. Sadly, the plot lacks life. Twists were not highlighted well, let alone delivered with the strong 'surprise' impact that I was looking for. There wasn't much emotion in the book - Zara talks about her stepfather many times, yes, but the grief was not effective. The romance lacks weight and the resolution I found totally poor. It lacks actions, lacks romance, lacks emotions. Bland.
I'm so not buying the sequel (Captivate). Though, I might maybe reconsider if I miss reading about Issie and Devyn.
Two stars.




0 comments:
Post a Comment