Katherine and Michael meet at a New Year's Eve party. They're attracted to each other, they grow to love each other. And once they've decided their love is forever, they make love. It's the beginning of an intense and exclusive relationship, with a future all planned. Until Katherine's parents insist that she and Michael put their love to the test with a summer apart..."Forever" is written for an older age group than Judy Blume's other novels for children. It caused a storm of controversy when it was first published because of its explicit sexual content. It was a book ahead of its time - and remains, after thirty years in print, a teenage best-seller. America's No. 1 children's author has written some of the best books of our time about real-life issues - family stress and pressures, what happens when your parents divorce, the problems of growing up and sexual awakening, bereavement - with insight, sensitivity and honesty. The response of readers all around the world continues to make her one of the best-loved writers ever published.
Three decades after its publication, Forever remains to be one of the most controversial and most debated YA novel around. It was what attracted me to the book - surely I could learn a thing or two from such an open novel, right?
I did...well not enjoy, exactly, but more like appreciate...the themes the novel touched on. Although not in depth, there are more controversial issues highlighted within the novel: gender issues, depression, parental relations, contraceptions, etc. I must applaud the author for incorporating such varied and controversial themes all within Katherine's perspective, and in a manner that seems realistic and true. It underscores how in each of our lives, these important issues linger. As a mature reader I would have wanted a lot more depth and outlook into these themes - but I think the novel works effectively for younger teens.
It is explicit at times, but the subtle descriptions only shine enough light to allow it (just about) to be read by fifteen, sixteen year olds. I'm sure they can relate to Katherine's dilemmas and decisions in Forever, and learn more than a mature reader like me.
Despite this, I found Forever strangely empty. For a book to be surrounded by so much hype I expected something a lot more than what Forever offered me. I found the description very minimal and the characters dense to the point of irritation. I could not at most point find myself sympathetic to Katherine, and it might only be me, but Michael appeared to be pushy, demanding and even violating. I thought both had been foolish, and decided terribly - althught of course I must mention that this is well explained.
Perhaps these flaws reiterates the type of target audience the novel caters to (supposedly younger teens). Perhaps times have changed since the 1970s and our modern outlook does not contextualise its message and overall theme. Perhaps as a mature reader it really just does not appeal to me personally.
Overall, I'm sure others will find Forever a good novel - sadly, it's just not the one for me.
Two Stars.
Two Stars.




4 comments:
Wonderful review.
I wanted to let you know that I gave you a blog award. come by and check it out.
Great review! Forever sounds interesting and I will definitely check it out :)
Fantastic and thoughtful review here. I reread this last year and although I loved it the first time round, my grown-up self had a major problem with how pushy Michael was. I also think this is probably due to the change in attitudes since it was written - like maybe teenage boys were just expected to be much more pushy then? But it didn't sit easily with me.
(New follower to your blog!)
Really interesting review. I had not heard about this book before... and even though I don't think I am going to love it, I might pick up a copy if I see it on a charity shop shelf.
Post a Comment