Hi there, welcome to our blog!

We're Dwayne and Hanna,
compulsive readers whose
growing book collection sadly
lacks a bookshelf.

We're 23 and 15, and we live in London.

Like most sisters, we bicker. A lot.

6 March 2010

Book Review: To Catch a Pirate (Jade Parker)


When Annalisa Townsend’s ship is set upon by pirates in search of her father’s treasure, one of the crew, James Sterling, discovers her in the hold. When he moves to take her necklace, she begs him not to, as it is all she has left of her mother. He accepts a kiss in exchange for the necklace. “A fair trade, m’lady,” he tells her afterward, before disappearing.

A year later, with a forged letter of marque, Annalisa is intent on hunting down the wretched James Sterling and reclaiming her father’s treasure from him. But now she’s in danger of him stealing something far more vulnerable this time: her heart.

I read this book in two sittings - only because it was already midnight and hello, I needed some sleep - otherwise I would not have put it down! It was such a fun, light and enjoyable read. I can't resist pirates - can you?

The book started in medias res (Yes! I used a literary term. Finally, after two years of A level Lit) but it was well-explained that it really wasn't a bother. In fact, by starting it at such crucial point, that is, the meeting of Annalisa Townsend and James Sterling, Jade Parker has pushed forward the beginning of attraction that would unfold each of their hearts. Of course, the romance is well-written, well-founded, and witty. I must admit I got a terrible dose of butterflies in my tummy while reading.

Trust is one of the major motifs in the book. It entwines with the romance tightly and at times it highlights the undeniable connection of the two main characters. The question of who to trust, or whether trust anyone at all is firm on the plot, and combined with an adventure in midst of storms, real and emotional and a daring, dangerous pirate life makes To Catch a Pirate a worthy read.

The characters of Anna and James are well-crafted. I enjoyed Anna's determination, flexibility and strength. I admired James' cockiness and charms. I especially enjoyed their witty banters and interactions, most of which feature the arrogant James charming Anna, and the futile resistance of the two to the blossoming of love between them. Also, I liked the insights to James thoughts - like the narration that tells how he loves her laugh - it really shows the transition he undergoes. 

And to make it a little more interesting, there's Nathaniel, the good-boy who bids Anna's heart too. Add the three together, complete with the pirate manly ego, and a beautiful woman... you get the point.

Not only do the primary characters given their own history, personality and background, but secondary characters are also well introduced. Ferret and Kelly Crimson are my personal favourites.

The ending could have been better, but I liked it nonetheless. I loved especially how James swallowed all his words in spite of himself. I suppose you can't blame a man in love :)

I shouldn not forget to mention that the pirate-y aspect of this book is intact and prominent. Really, it's a pirate themed romance, but it should also cater to pirate fans looking for adventures and action.

I really enjoyed this :)

Four stars.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Statistics




Since 06 September 2010