Hi there, welcome to our blog!

We're Dwayne and Hanna,
compulsive readers whose
growing book collection sadly
lacks a bookshelf.

We're 23 and 15, and we live in London.

Like most sisters, we bicker. A lot.

7 October 2010

Book Review: Star Crossed (Jo Cotterill)


'You did WHAT?' screamed Mari. 'You turned down the cutest boy ever? Are you crazy?' 

Fliss isn't exactly outgoing. But on stage she really comes alive. And this summer, she's playing Juliet opposite her dream Romeo - Tom Mayerling. If only she could tell him how she feels! But unless Fliss finds some inner confidence, she's going to miss her chance with Tom. Because someone else has her eyes on Fliss' role - and her leading man...

I had to wrestle with my sister to have the privilege of reading this book first. It didn't matter if she was closer in age to the reading audience, or, like Fliss, she is more likely to act in a play - I has a feeling I'd love this book just as much and I was not wrong! We shared oohs and aahs and agitation over Star Crossed and we both enjoyed this treat.

Fliss is such a lovely character, because in every one of us there's an inner Fliss. Shy and demure, she finds acting her passion and escape. Her mother disapproves of the one thing she feel she's good at. She hates confrontations and would more likely follow than lead. But once she's on stage, her confidence strengthens and her inner strength is revealed. I related well with her thoughts and concerns, despite my age being past the teens years. Which is why I think her character relates to many across age groups, mostly teens, or at the very least reminds you of what it was like to be in pursuit of one's passion. Fliss grows and learns to overcome her insecurities in Star Crossed. It should be very helpful to younger teens as it's not only narrated conversationally, but also in a way that's easy to digest. By that I don't mean it being fickle, but more towards it being easy to follow, hence easily relatable to teenage dilemmas.

Star Crossed also features a great villain, and a handsome prince charming. Samantha plays the perfect villain, who reminds me of fairy tale villains with roots in reality. Tom, the object of Fliss' affection, is also similarly rooted in the middle ground. I think therefore, Star Crossed is a great book for teens who still loves fairy tales but are slowly moving towards more teenage titles. Samantha, villainous as she is, has more to her than just the physical. Her insecurities play a huge role in what she does and why. Of course, despite my dislike of her, when I discovered that (of course) she's not so evil after all, I wanted to read more about her. Hopefully the next book!

How classic is it that your crush plays Romeo when you play Juliet? I'd have loved to change the ending if it were me! So of course my inner fan girl squealed and rejoiced in the romance in Star Crossed - very cute! Reminds me of all the ups and downs, the speculations and stolen stares, the sighs and tears you undergo when nursing that lovely first love.

Star Crossed is an entertaining read and a lovely book all around!

Four Stars.

1 comments:

brizmus said...

yay, a fairy tale villain with roots in reality! I always love it when you have a Juliet playing girl get to go against her crush in Romeo.
This sounds great!

Post a Comment

Statistics




Since 06 September 2010