She doesn't see dead people, but…
She senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.
Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next…
Rachel Vincent should be a name readers should always, always categorise under 'bloody amazing'. Her shifters series is noteworthy in the Urban fantasy genre and her newly published (in the UK, at least) Soul Screamers series is just as fantastic! I love it! It has in its pages the exact reasons why I love YA - and why it is bound to be one of my favourite series!
My Soul to Take hooked me from the very beginning. Despite paranormal YA being very popular in the market today, I am drawn to the book even before it began introducing its paranormal element. Rachel's writing is magnetic - her no nonsense prose is witty, direct and thoroughly enigmatic. The way it delivers exactly what is just right - without taking the wit off the narrative voice - is truly captivating. It is a very comfortable read, smooth in both its prose and pace. Before I knew it, I was half-way thru it!
I don't think I've ever read a book about bean sidhes before. I have come across the notion of course, particularly in highland romances, but I have yet to read one which focuses entirely on it. The Soul Screamers series fits the bill entirely, and I have been completely enthralled by its mythology. It is incredibly well-imagined, and so easy to drown in! It is not only rich and particularly exciting, it is also a joy to gather and discover more of it with Kaylee as I read along.
Kaylee Cavanaugh is one funny, sassy and witty heroine. At times even confused, as well as horrified by her abilities. She is the perfect complement to Nash's laidback, protective personality. While she is a risk-taker unaware of the consequences, Nash is a guarded and a careful assessor. This pair is - there is no other word for it - sexy. Yes, My Soul to Take is definitely more seductive than many YA books I've read - and I am not complaining!
Apart from the obvious pair, there are also a number of secondary characters that not only surprises you, but ones you know will play an increasingly important role in the succeeding books. One of those is Tod, who has a hugely surprising relationship to one of the characters - I will not ruin the surprise for you, but it has a completely huge twist I never would have guessed! The book has a whole lot of it on hand for the readers - brace yourselves! You're in for a definite treat! The fact that everything is well balanced with some very nerve wracking instances just adds to the general marvelousness of this series.
Fast-paced, engaging, enthralling, magnetic, seductive - My Soul to Take definitely has the best of YA!
Five Stars!
* Review copy courtesy of Mira Ink. Thank you!




5 comments:
Wow, the cover looks awesome too.
demitrialunetta.blogspot.com
This is no doubt one of my favorite YA series...next to Vampire Academy!! These books are amazing and wait til you get to My Soul To Steal *oooh, the drama!*
I love the UK covers for this series too. We voted on them in one of our US vs UK editions...you can check out the US covers HERE if you like.
♥Isalys
I love the UK covers for these books, they're so much better then the US ones. I can't wait to start the series, I've heard such wonderful things about them!
I have this one on my Kindle even though YA is not my favourite I am going to try this one. Your review is the best I have read, well done and thank you.
Great review! I downloaded this for my Kindle at Christmas and haven't got round to reading it yet but I'll bump it up the pile now :-)
Post a Comment