Hi there, welcome to our blog!

We're Dwayne and Hanna,
compulsive readers whose
growing book collection sadly
lacks a bookshelf.

We're 23 and 15, and we live in London.

Like most sisters, we bicker. A lot.

10 April 2010

Book Review: The Dark Divine (Bree Despain)


A prodigal son

A dangerous love

A deadly secret . . .

I stood back and watched his movements. Daniel had that way about him that could shut me down in an instant. . . . I kicked the gravel a couple of times and worked up my courage again. “Tell me . . . I mean . . . why did you come back? Why now, after all this time?”

Grace Divine, daughter of the local pastor, always knew something terrible happened the night Daniel Kalbi disappeared—the night she found her brother Jude collapsed on the porch, covered in blood. But she has no idea what a truly monstrous secret that night really held. And when Daniel returns three years later, Grace can no longer deny her attraction to him, despite promising Jude she’ll stay away.

As Grace gets closer to Daniel, her actions stir the ancient evil Daniel unleashed that horrific night. Grace must discover the truth behind Jude and Daniel's dark secret . . . and the cure that can save the ones she loves. But she may have to lay down the ultimate sacrifice to do it—her soul.

The Dark Divine is a novel that truly lives up to its name. It is both a dark and a divine read. It dips into religion (Grace's father is a pastor) half the time but does not neglect a more morbid, sometimes gruesome mythological factor. Bree Despain blends the two contrasting themes together ; along side they complement rather than contradict each other. I truly enjoyed the juxtaposition and I delighted in having this in my hands. I almost literally consumed it in one sitting!

It begins in medias res - in the middle of everything - and since then my reading experience was restless, perhaps as restless as Grace was in her quest for answers. The book lays out the mystery from page one and it is one that is so pivotal to the plot that I was immediately engaged and searching. This tone is delivered throughout the course of the novel and is consistently intensified, building slowly until I felt I couldn't breathe until I had all the answers on the palm of my hands.

Aside from the mystery, the book also exhibits gruesome images and action sequences that underscores the danger that surrounds the mystery of the plot. If both action and mystery is not enough to leave you breathless, then the forbidden romance surely will. Both Daniel and Grace breaks more rules than the universal Guys-should-not-date-their-bestfriend's-sister rule. Their love story, one that is strengthened by longing of being torn apart and by so many memories will be a thrill to any romance lovers out there. And then there is the question of Jude - Grace's brother (and the most ideal brother ever), who in no circumstances will approve her love for Daniel...

Not only was the tension in the book outstanding, I felt the characters were well drawn too. Daniel for me was a very realistic character - even through Grace's narration he appears distant and mysterious and seductively frightening. So mysterious was he that he I did not know what to expect of him at all. Which, of course, only made my reading experience better. The twists at the end I could not have expected, but in retrospect I believe the clues embedded in the book very much supported the whole plot. 

I wish the ending was a little longer - I yearned so much for more I honestly can hardly wait for The Lost Saint! Though I was not exactly left hanging, I felt it is definitely open-ended and is just awaiting its sequel. At times I was also confused and felt as if everything is bared all at once. There were definitely questions that arose after I finished reading, and I was not in agreement with what had happened to other characters. Having said that, I hope the sequel will answer some of my questions!

A strong mythology with deeply religious undertones, a mystery with dire implications, a forbidden romance with a dangerously sexy bad boy... The Dark Divine is a hugely exciting book which had my heart racing from beginning to end!

Four stars!

1 comments:

prophecygirl said...

I loved this book so much! I know some people had problems with it, but not me. Can't wait for the sequel & glad you enjoyed!

Post a Comment

Statistics




Since 06 September 2010