A modern tale of star-crossed lovers with a fresh urban twist.
At Fairfield High School, on the outskirts of Chicago , everyone knows that south-siders mixing with north-siders can be explosive. So when Brittany Ellis and Alejandro “Alex” Fuentes are forced to be lab partners in chemistry class, this human experiment leads to unexpected revelations – that Brittany ’s flawless reputation is a cover for her troubled home life, that Alex’s bad-boy persona hides his desire to break free from gang ties, and that when they’re together, life somehow makes more sense. Breaking through the stereotypes and expectations that threaten to keep Brittany and Alex apart, Perfect Chemistry takes readers to both sides of the tracks in a passionate love story about looking beneath the surface.
I have read so many rave reviews about Perfect Chemistry. I'm just about to add another, so brace yourself!
I was terribly excited for this book, taking into account it has been released in the US a full two years prior to its release here in the UK, which was only yesterday. To be honest I was worried that my expectations would ruin the book for me. I knew it was going to be a good read, only I was not certain it was ever going to meet my expectations - after reading I decided it was a ridiculous thought after all; it actually surpassed my expectations.
What makes Perfect Chemistry a book in its own league is not the fact that everyone is in love with the tale of star crossed lovers, but because Simone has crafted and perfected such endearing characters in both Alex and Brittany. Their voices were strong, were personalised realistically and were very relatable to any reader. I found that Simone has synchronised each of her character's thoughts, words and feelings into the narration. Of course, the sassy, witty, and sometimes deliriously sexy dialogue is incorporated well.
And although the romance is of course a main theme in the novel, for me it is this depth given to her characters that makes the romance special. I found that it is the coming together of such beautiful characters in midst of the social tension and skepticism that swirls around them which makes Perfect Chemistry such a loveable novel.
Although I struggled with the Spanish phrases (needing to consult an online translator to aid my basic, patchy Spanish), its use was very effective and adds flavour to the characters and to the overall plot. I found that and the touch of Mexican culture unique and very enlightening. Not to mention the sense of brotherhood, loyalty, danger, and most of all the sense of self present in Perfect Chemistry very gripping.
The plot was given time to develop - never did I feel rushed - which results to a well-founded, well-narrated and very solid love story I could only love. The uncertainty and the many twists and turns of this novel was engrossing - much so that I was hooked from beginning to end.
Perfect Chemistry is definitely more than just a romance novel. It focuses on not only the coming together of a bad boy Romeo and a princessy Juliet, but also of choices, and carving one's path and of change.
I'm desperate for 27th April - the date the sequel, Rules of Attraction will be out! :)
Five stars!




23 comments:
Great review! I loved Perfect Chemistry as well :D I am desperate for the sequel too, but in the mean time, you could always read Leaving Paradise by the same author. That is, if you've not read it before. I just finished it, and it's really, really good. My latest post was actually about it, if you're interested :)
Awesome review, Dwayne! Wow, it was so eloquent and passionate! If I hadn't already read Perfect Chemistry, I would definitely be picking it up on your recomendation. I adored this book, it was simply amazing! I have Leaving Paradise on my TBR pile, and I'm also anxiously waiting for the release date of Rules of Attraction. Have you seent the trailer for it? Wow! Thanks for such a great review!
CUTE BLOG!!! I'm in Scotland! Glad to find another UK blogger!
I haven't read my copy yet, but I'm really looking forward to it. By the way, you have an award over on my blog.
Great review I'm itching to get this book!
This is on my wishlist, will be tracking it down later. Thanks for the review
This is a really beautiful review, you've absolutely done the book justice here. It is wonderful, isn't it? It's almost like the title describes Simone Elkeles' writing as well as the story itself.
Fab review Dwayne, as you know I really loved this one!! I'm so excited about Rules of Attraction - can't wait to get my hands on it :o) I've added your link to my review :o)
This is one of my all time favourite YA books. I love Alex. *sigh*
Great review!
I agree with all of the above. I am obsessed with this book. Holy cow! I can't sleep because of it. Alex is in my brain 24/7. I need serious help.
didn't you just love this one! glad you enjoyed it!
I can't wait for Rules of Attraction. I have already asked a friend who lives in NCY to buy it for me (I am based in Dublin).
On the same note (not as brilliant but definitely an excellent book) is "Going too far" by Jennifer Echols
This one looks so great! I haven't read this yet, but I can't wait to .
Much thanks you lot! I hope you enjoy/enjoyed Perfect Chemistry as much I did! :)
I loved this one too! :D You should check out more by Simone Elkeles, especially Leaving Paradise. She's great. :)
Amazing review, this is seriously one of the best I've seen out there! You got me so excited to read it! :)
This an interesting approach.
Please one more post about that..
Thanks for sharing your article.
So its not just me thats obsessed with Alex?! ever since reading that whole series, the Fuentes brothers have been on my mind 24/7!
I will never forget the corrector of Fuentes brothers.
Great review.... I like to read this book soon. Thanks
__________________
Cheap Essay | Essay Blog
I can't wait to read The Selection. Thanks a lot for the giveaway!
-------------------
Online Essay
Primary focus of our company is on providing custom written essays. It is our aim to provide you with personalized academic assistance in preparing dissertation proposals, theses, literature reviews, MBA projects or reports.
Essay Writing Service
Awesome group of tips! I love when fellow bloggers share the things they have learned! Your right, so much to learn :-) thanks for sharing! Paper Writing Services
Post a Comment