Hi there, welcome to our blog!

We're Dwayne and Hanna,
compulsive readers whose
growing book collection sadly
lacks a bookshelf.

We're 23 and 15, and we live in London.

Like most sisters, we bicker. A lot.

17 August 2010

Book Review: The Hunger Games (Suzanne Collins)


Winning will make you famous.
Losing means certain death.

In a dark vision of the near future, a terrifying reality TV show is taking place. Twelve boys and twelve girls are forced to appear in a live event called the Hunger Games. There is only one rule: kill or be killed.

When sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen steps forward to take her sister's place in the games, she sees it as a death sentence. But Katniss has been close to death before. For her, survival is second nature.

With a few exceptions, I feel I am the last person to read this book. In a way, I'm glad I read it late. Had I read it any sooner I would have gone insane waiting for Catching Fire and again waiting for Mockingjay.

There is always something unnerving about dystopian fiction in general, but what makes Hunger Games just that bit more gruesome is the fact that it pits children against each other under the amusement of everyone else. The thought it sickening. The Hunger Games certainly lives up to the brutality of the concept, and Katniss' narration gives a very vivid picture of just how sadistic it all is. I must admit that while reading, the Hunger Games felt like one big adventure and as such, has a certain magnetism to it that I could not say no to. But for once I am glad not to be part of that adventure and be in the relative safety of my bed reading rather than fighting for survival.

I'm sure a lot will agree Katniss Everdeen is probably the strongest female protagonist in the world of YA. Her voice is authentic and conversational and thus easy to follow, despite the heavy decisions she has to make within the circumstances. The ease in which she narrates her world adds to her strength and is a strong contrast to the darkness of her future. She's very real and very tangible, truly a person of her own.

There is no end to the number of secondary characters that is note-worthy in this book. Friendships and bonds are fragile, but unmistakable. It's particularly difficult to endear myself to any one of the tributes as they are doomed to perish one way or another, but certain characters attach themselves so strongly that their deaths deliver a very different point across to the readers. One of these points being just how satirical The Hunger Game is. It reminds me of George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty Four and hence also carry heavy political connotations.

The Hunger games does not forgo humour or drama, but it excels in brutality. And I do love it. It's a bloody good book!

As for the great debate? Well, Team Peeta.

Five Stars!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fab review! I haven't read this yet (and now I do feel like the only one to not have read it!). I'm waiting for a voucher so I can get it, though, along with City of Bones but it's taking ages and I'm dying to read both books!

Anonymous said...

Awesome review! I LOVED The Hunger Games, and I'm glad you did too!

Happy reading! :)
p.s. I'm also Team Peeta!

kirsty at the overflowing library said...

this is a fab book. I can never decide on the peeta / gale front and keep changing sides frequently!

brizmus said...

while I don't necessarily agree that Katniss is the strongest protagonist in YA, I do agree thaqt this book is AWESOME!
glad you so easily chose sides- I absolutely can't. It's too hard - I don't know how she is going to deal with it.

Ladytink_534 said...

You aren't the last person believe me! I finally picked this up on Sunday and I'm looking forward to reading it. So glad that the others have come out though!

Dwayne said...

@Lucie: Really? You'll love it, promise! City of Bones is also amazing. You totally should get both:)

@The Paperback Princess: Yaay Team Peeta!

@Kirsty: I like Gale, but Peeta's so self-less I can't help but side with him :) I agree, it's a bit confusing who to side with!

@Brizmus: Who'd you think is the strongest? Now I'm reading Catching Fire, I agree that Katniss may not seem that strong after all. I'm thinking Katsa from Graceling is a good contender:) I have to finish Catching Fire yet but yeah it's so hard to choose!

@Ladytink: Ooh, you'll love it promise! Once Mockingjay comes out, you'll just read it continuously :)

Angela said...

You're definitely not the last one to read that book - I've never read it, or even heard of it so I'm totally out of the loop.

Great review. Thanks!

Blueicegal ♥ said...

i love this series and i agree the whole concept is pretty brutal and im sure we can all agree Katniss is kick ass!

Blodeuedd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Blodeuedd said...

Hi, nice blog :)

Lol, aye team Peeta, I will make up my mind once and for all soon

Post a Comment

Statistics




Since 06 September 2010