Hi there, welcome to our blog!

We're Dwayne and Hanna,
compulsive readers whose
growing book collection sadly
lacks a bookshelf.

We're 23 and 15, and we live in London.

Like most sisters, we bicker. A lot.

31 August 2010

Book Review: Torment (Lauren Kate)


How many lives do you need to live before you find someone worth dying for? In the aftermath of what happened at Sword & Cross, Luce has been hidden away by her cursed angelic boyfriend, Daniel, in a new school filled with Nephilim, the offspring of fallen angels and humans. Daniel promises she will be safe here, protected from those who would kill her. At the school Luce discovers what the Shadows that have followed her all her life mean - and how to manipulate them to see into her other lives. Yet the more Luce learns about herself, the more she realizes that the past is her only key to unlocking her future...and that Daniel hasn't told her everything. What if his version of the past isn't actually the way things happened...what if Luce was really meant to be with someone else?

Fallen left me disoriented and grappling for answers, so I expected Torment to ease my confusion. In fact, I was pretty excited for it since I loved the idea of Luce and Daniel's enduring love across time.

Unfortunately, Torment just left me more frustrated.

There's a difference between leaving readers wanting more and leaving them in a totally disorienting limbo of confusion. What Torment did for me was dump more rather than answer some of the questions that was left hanging by the end of Fallen. There is a lot question rising up in this book that only made the whole series a little too overwhelming. While I like complex world building, sometimes there's just information overload. So, rather than marvel at the intricacy of the plot, I just found it too complicated to entangle. I won't even start on how frustrated I am to have to wait for the third book to (hopefully) find the answers I am looking for.

Hidden away at a school for Nephilims called Shoreline, Lucinda Price begins to question a lot more about her past, herself and why Daniel insists on her recluse. Feeling trapped, clueless and still racked with guilt about Penn's death, she explores more of her surroundings, which in turn places her in danger. She disregards Daniel's instructions and often other's too, choosing instead to find answers of her own accord. While I like this stronger, more courageous Luce, her erratic behaviour annoyed me. Her stubbornness got to me, and I found it hard to symphatise with Luce. Of course, a big part of the blame lies with Daniel, who - even more than Luce - is just a tad too distant to my liking. I found it hard to connect with Daniel in Fallen, but in Torment he becomes a lot more elusive. He keeps Luce in the dark and evades her questions, and then fails to understand why she uses her own devices to find the answers that she wants. There is a lot of misunderstanding between these two in Torment - it gets quite tiring.

I love the romantic aspect of Torment best, and I did love Daniel and Luce's interactions, no matter how quick and fragmented they come and go. There is something so endearing about their love story and general, and despite my dislike of the details surrounding it, I'm holding on and hoping the next book(s) will elaborate more on their destinies. One other part of this book that I like are the new characters introduced, some of whom wriggle their way between Daniel and Luce, and present one very good option at that. I enjoyed Luce's experiences and adventures with her new friends, who seem to understand her best. The best part is towards the end, when the angels and nephilim appear side by side. The ruckus and tension they caused is quite thrilling. I hope these characters play their parts in the next book, as I'm looking forward to them a lot!

Most of the action is centered towards the end of the book, although tension also heightens at many parts within the novel. Like Fallen, Torment has a very good action sequence, one which can make you feel as if the characters are trapped without a way out. It ends with a very frustrating cliff-hanger though, and that deprived me of fulfillment. I have been expecting something explosive as the blurb suggests a big discovery of some sort about Luce and Daniel, I guess. The book just did not live up to that.

Maybe some can gain a lot more from Torment than I did, so I won't necessarily say skip this sequel. However, I didn't think it was a good sequel. It seems to be the type of book I'd consider to be set between book one and book 2 of a series, and hence missable.

Two Stars.

8 comments:

Jo said...

Oh, it's such a shame you're not a huge fan of Torment, Dwayne! I absolutely loved it! I think the way Kate can keep you turning the pages, desperate for answers and keeping you engaged without really answering anything is just genius! I actually really like the maddening wait for answers. I think it's great how she can get a whole book that's just so brilliant, without giving us much. I think it's awesome!

Lisa_Gibson said...

Oh, bummer. I wasn't a huge fan of Fallen. I was hoping Torment would bring me further into the story and really love where it took me. Thanks for an honest review though. :)
Lisa ~ YA Literature Lover

Faith said...

Oh no, was it really worse than Fallen? That book frustrated me so much, but the ending was such a cliffhanger that I figured I'd have to read the next one... maybe I'll skip it after all. :(

Thanks for the honest review!

-Ria xo said...

It's a shame you didn't like it as much as you though. I've been dying to read this series, and will probably still give it a go. I'll just be more cautious..... ;)
Great review though- very detailed.

Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

I've just gotten this book through the uk book tours - have only read the first few chapters. I'm hoping the way I feel about it now will change (only skimmed your review, sorry!)

Ynysawdre Elderly Residents Association said...

I am on the tour list too.
I am a huge Fallen fangirl so I am hoping this lives up to it :D

Anonymous said...

Knowing that yesterday was the release date for the 2nd book in this series, one I have been waiting on since the debut of the 1st book, I couldn't help but rush from afternoon classes to Borders to get my copy. I even missed two study sessions, not being able to wait another second to get my hands on this book. But what a disappointment it was. Not that the book didn't have it's good moments, but I expected sooo much more after that first book. I guess I right off the back knew I gonna have some problems with this book because of my dislike for love triangles. Not only are they just typical, but the concept itself irks the heck out me.. Its just something about an author painting this lovely portrait of a perfect everlasting love between two people only to destroy the painting by splashing it with these dark distracting colors. Because thats all the 3rd person in the love story ever is, a distraction (ie Jacob from Twilight). They distract the readers from fully being able to become familiar with, understand, and appreciate the love the author has created between the two characters.

And also the damsel in distress thing got played out with Bella Swan as well. I honestly thought Luce would be different and a lot wiser as far as decision making but I guess that was hoping for too much.. I'd go a lot further into detail, but because the book is so fresh I don't want to give away too much.. maybe in a week or two when I see what others think as well.. Plus I'm at work and don't have much time :-)

But all and all this book let me down! I hope next summer's, Passion, will bring the story back together for me.

Dwayne said...

@ Anonymous: Shame. I can feel the disappointment in your every word! I agree with you - I wanted this book to work but it failed me! :(

Post a Comment

Statistics




Since 06 September 2010