Weston Wilson is not immortal and he is of this world. But, aging is not part of his existence, and eighteen-year-old Sophie Slone is determined to find out why. In doing so, she could also uncover something about her own life expectancy that she may not want to know. Suddenly, immortality will mean everything and nothing all at the same time.
Intensely fascinating and rich with determination, The Pace brings together romance, mystery, and suspense in a compelling bond that is sure to have readers asking for more.
The Pace is a very peculiar book. It was an interesting read, romantic and intriguing with it's fresh new take on conventional plots. However, while I enjoyed this book very much, I felt it lacked the sparked that I was looking for in its pages.
The Pace is fundamentally about Sophie Slone's relationship with Weston Wilson (III). After crashing into him and finding herself with a very odd young man, she becomes drawn to his chivalrous ways and gentlemanly behaviour. She finds Wes intriguing and every bit mysterious. When Sophie starts seeking answers, that's when the story really unfolds. From hence the readers are taken into a journey of finding and seeking, of understanding Wes and his real connection to Sophie.
Unlike other male protagonists, Weston is gentle, physically strong but emotionally vulnerable. Sophie is really the character that stood out in this book, and the stronger of the two. She is also more action and less thoughts; hence, Sophie's narration focuses a lot more on actions than on her reflections. I did not mind at all, and Sophie is a very comfortable character do spend some time with. It's fine with me, but I'm not sure it won't drag for other readers. I'm not sure there were other very substantial characters, as another peculiar trait of this novel is the tendency to surprise you with the importance of a passing character.
I have to admire the author for her creativity in the age-old concept of immortality. It has been made clear from the description that Wes is indeed immortal; so my reading experience consisted mostly of attempting to seek the answers to Wes' immortality. I was surprised about how it was handled in the book; it is a very scientific explanation and though I found it very intriguing, I was not sure I followed thoroughly. It was both understandable and slightly vague. I would have liked a lot more elaboration.
I found The Pace saturated with romance and tender moments, but sadly lacks suspense. It gets better towards the end, but as it stands, I did not particularly think that there was enough suspense built up within the previous pages. Because I was looking eagerly for one, I found several subplots that is not accomplished fully towards the end. There was also a sense of predictability in the romance, although like always, Sophie surprises me.
Just a note, the ending had me scratching my head, because it did not make any sense to me at all. No matter, it seems the sequel will fill in all the gaps. Despite the flaws of this book, I really can't let go of it and am itching to get my hands on The Broken Lake.
Three Stars.




3 comments:
Great review Dwayne, and I'm with you on wanting to find out what happens next, The Broken Lake is sure to answer some of our questions and hopefully be even better than the first! Shelena Shorts will be one of the authors at the PAYA book festival if you're close to the area and are interested in meeting her!
The Pace is a book that has been since it's release in my wishlist but that I haven't read yet. I think I will buy soon though, since reading your review I've felt like reading it.
Silvia^^
@ Katelyn: I'm based in London so I don't think I can go to the PAYA bookfest, lol. I haven't seen Broken Lake anywhere in Amazon UK yet so I'm hoping it'll arrive here soon!
@Silvia: Thanks! You should try it, I hope you enjoy it too!
Post a Comment