In the beginning we were nine.
We left when we were very young, almost too young to remember. Almost. And now . . .
Three are gone.
We are here to keep our race alive, which was almost entirely obliterated. We're just trying to survive.
Six are left.
But we are hunted, and the hunters won't stop until they've killed us all.
They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
I am Number Four.
I know that I am next.
I was right to be excited and downright giddy for I am Number Four because it totally rocks my sock. No wonder it's been optioned for film even before the book has been published. It's so brilliant it has got to be epic.
I was in awe with the concept of the Lorien Nine. Sent to hide on Earth after the destruction of their planet Lorien, they are hunted by the destroyer of Lorien, the Morgadorians. A Loric charm protects these nine so that they may only be killed in order. The first three are now dead, and Number Four - otherwise known as John Smith-, being the next target, hides in Paradise, Ohio with his guardian Henri. The danger that surrounds both John, Henri and their every move creates tension of the best kind. That lurking, dangerous feel of the unknown is well depicted by this book, and culminates in an action sequence so intense reading it drained me afterwards, as if I myself was part of it!
Though not a usual fan of sci-fi, I found it hard not to be amazed by the Loric way of life. Reading about it felt like a discovery of a rich culture I wanted to indulge in, and the Lorien Nine in particular had me reading in slack jawed fascination. Everything that binds them together and all that they share are completely mersmerising - their legacies, the loric charm, their fight for survival against the Mogadorians. It's fascinating, and it was so very difficult not to indulge in exploring more about Lorien and its people!
Our Hero, Number Four, is one swoon-worthy alien. His voice is authentic, characterised by the brief, punctuated sentences. His narrative intensifies the tension and works particularly well in the fast-paced action scenes. Despite his otherworldly roots, the book takes some time showing just how human John is. He is an alien with a heart, and one easy to adore. Like any typical fifteen year-old boy, he gets into fights, vies for female attention, and makes some genuine mistakes.
Despite his otherwordly roots however, John's battles are not only of extra-terrestial origins, but are also comprised of those which he has wielded for himself and for those whom he has grown to care. In particular, for his love interest Sarah and best friend Sam. The sense of brotherhood and friendship is also strong in I am Number Four - in John's closeness to Henri and his friendship with Sam's. Relationships are at the heart of this book and it was a delight to read bout Henri and John in particular. I adore and admire Henri as a character - his selflessness shines in this book and his affection for John unforgettable! Of course, I must also note the romance. Sarah and John share something innocent yet moving, one I'm sure readers will root for.
I am Number Four is one brilliant book. With an epic concept, a heart-stopping action sequence, a wonderful romance and an emotionally charged resolution, this sci-fi thriller is unmissable. It's gripping, it's exciting, it's bloody brilliant. Like I said, epic!
Five Stars.
Did you know? Pittacus Lore is actually James Frey. I am Number Four is currently being filmed for a movie release on February 2011 and it stars Alex Pettyfer (sigh!) as John Smith. Yes, I am one very happy gal :)
I am Number Four will be out in the UK on 26th August 2010. Visit the official website here to find out more.
* I received this book from Waterstones for review.




4 comments:
Terrific review. I have sent my copy to Clover and then on the book tour so that it can get loads of publicity before it comes back to 'my' library :D
The movie cast is pretty cool. I REALLY want to read this book!
I am hearing such mixed things about this book but I think I will read it and find out for myself. You make it sound so good and I LOVE sci-fi.
Super excited to read this one!
Post a Comment