Hi there, welcome to our blog!

We're Dwayne and Hanna,
compulsive readers whose
growing book collection sadly
lacks a bookshelf.

We're 23 and 15, and we live in London.

Like most sisters, we bicker. A lot.

7 August 2010

Book Review: Two Way Street (Lauren Barnholdt)


There are two sides to every breakup. This is Jordan and Courtney, totally in love. Sure, they were an unlikely high school couple. But they clicked; it worked. They're even going to the same college, and driving cross-country together for orientation. Then Jordan dumps Courtney -- for a girl he met on the Internet. It's too late to change plans, so the road trip is on. Courtney's heartbroken, but figures she can tough it out for a few days. La la la -- this is Courtney pretending not to care. But in a strange twist, Jordan cares. A lot. Turns out, he's got a secret or two that he's not telling Courtney. And it has everything to do with why they broke up, why they can't get back together, and how, in spite of it all, this couple is destined for each other.

I keep wondering what I missed when reading this book because I have heard a whole lot about it and majority of what I did were positive reviews. It's not that I dislike this book or anything, it just wasn't as good as I have heard.

I loved the premise of a road trip between an ex-couple who I knew still loved each other. It's incredibly romantic, despite the tension and the pain of the break-up. In many ways the book lived up to that. It was romantic - Jordan's gestures convey all his feelings for Courtney, and Courtney's hurt was palpable in her thoughts and actions. There was a great plot build up in Two Way Street, complete with the flashbacks that support and explain the couple's past. It also explains hook up, the break-up and everything in between. Towards the end there was such a rush of tension that I pretty much just raced through he book.

Unfortunately, I somehow found the twist pretty obvious from the beginning, as Jordan gives abundant clues in his narration. From then on it was just a matter of seeing where it will all lead to, which was not very fun at all. There was also the lack of individuality in the narrative voices. Both Jordan and Courtney share the same idiolects (for instance, the tendency to say 'I mean this, not that') which I wasn't sure if I were to take as their connection or just a lack of differentiation in their voices.

I found myself enjoying secondary characters more. B.J. is my favourite character, and despite his antics I thought he was great company. Unfortunately, I fiercely disliked the adults in this book. Selfish, condescending and callow. I could have dealt with that, had the book not made me feel like it was Courtney who had issues and had to change to accommodate the adults. I felt as if the adults were tolerated and Courtney was at fault for being kept in the dark. Thankfully, I liked the resolution between Courtney and Jordan, and what the roadtrip meant for their relationship.

Three stars.


* I received this copy for review. Thanks Mel!

4 comments:

Ynysawdre Elderly Residents Association said...

I have this in my TBR pile :D Pushing it up to the top *shuffles books*

Lauren said...

Really interesting review, Dwayne. I love the premise but if the 'twist' is so easy to guess... well, that's a little offputting. However, I'm not super good at guessing twists unless they're really obvious, so maybe that won't be a problem for me. This one is a 'maybe' for me right now.

Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

Yes, I think a lot of things about the book can be described as predictable, but I don't think it matters so much, if the journey that you take to get to that conclusion is fun. And it IS romantic and there is tension and I think that overweighed everything else for me.

Faye( Ramblings of a Teenage Bookworm) said...

I loved this book, the relationship between Court and Jordan was cute and sweet. <3 B.J he was hilarious!

Post a Comment

Statistics




Since 06 September 2010